Branch # 11, Coombs, Central Vancouver Island
CENTRAL VANCOUVER ISLAND covers an area from Qualicum Bay to Duncan.
The Branch is headquartered at the Rotary House in Qualicum Beach on the corner of Beach Street and Fern Road, where our meetings and dances are held. When initially formed, the club met and played at a venue in Coombs, hence the name.
The community of Coombs is located 9 km west of Parksville and is well known as the home of “The Goats on the Roof” at the Old Country Market. Coombs grew out of the Salvation Army’s immigration program that brought nearly a quarter of a million poor English and Welsh to Canada. The handful of families that settled here took the name for their community from the Salvation Army’s commissioner in Canada, Thomas Coombs.
- Approximately 45 Regular and Lifetime members of whom about 20 are active musicians. New members are always welcome.
Regular meetings and Dances at Rotary House
General Meetings are usually on the FIRST SUNDAY of every month – Sept to June, at 1:00 PM (if the first Sunday is a holiday, the meeting will be on the second Sunday). These meetings are usually followed by a Tea Dance at 2:15PM. Admission is $3 and includes light refreshments. Meetings and Tea Dances resume October 2, 2016.
A July Meeting is usually in conjunction with a picnic and a practice session in preparation for the upcoming festivals.
EVERY THURSDAY from mid-September to mid-June (except for three weeks at Christmastime) we host a dance at 7:30 p.m. in the Rotary House at Qualicum Beach. Admission is $3 and includes light refreshments. Dances resume September 15, 2016.
Nell Bowles Secretary Treasurer 250-752-4185
c/o 651 Johnstone Rd., Parksville V9P 2A1
email: firstname.lastname@example.org or
- Bruce Foden, Publicity Director, 250-594-3750
- email: email@example.com
Executive for 2016:
* President: Philippa Parker
* Vice-President: Roy Bochek
* Secretary/Treasurer: Nell Bowles
* 2 – Year Directors: Bob Berge, Miriam Shell and Tom Elliott
* 1 – Year Directors: Bonnie McDougall, Ken Ross and Bob Bloodsworth
* Other Functions: Membership – Margaret Elliott,
* Publicity – Bruce Foden
Special Events and Playouts
- ANNUALLY on the THIRD SATURDAY of SEPTEMBER we host a FIDDLE JAMBOREE in the big hall at the Coombs Rodeo Grounds, 2601 Alberni Highway. Food and dry camping will be available on the grounds.
- For 2016 the event will be on SEPTEMBER 17. Open stage registration is at 10:00 a.m. and the show begins at 11:00 a.m. Everyone is welcome; admission is $5, musicians and under 12’s free. There will be special performances featuring the popular Sarah Tradewell and Quinton Etheridge-Pedden. More information will be forthcoming as the program is finalized.
- In months that have five Thursdays, we play at the Bowen Park Seniors’ Centre in Nanaimo.
- We play once per month, September to June, at each of the local Seniors’ care residences.
- When requested, we perform at various local events such as the Coombs Fair, Coombs Bluegrass Festival, Art-in-the-Garden, etc.
- None Planned at this Time.