This page has been inserted in response to a request for more information / feedback to the Branches and indeed to all our members on the proceedings and activities of the Provincial Executive.
The in-depth details of the roles and responsibilities of the BCOTFA is contained in the By-Laws which apply to the Provincial Executive as well as all the Branches and their members, however the basic roles and responsibilities of the BCOTFA Provincial Executive are:
– To offer guidance and assistance to Branches in matters related to our By-Laws
– To share ideas and activities throughout the province as they relate to fiddling
– To make recommendations of candidates for the Canadian Grand Masters invitational competition
– To provide insurances as approved by membership at the AGM
SYNOPSIS OF FEBRUARY 6, 2019 EXECUTIVE MEETING
Correspondence: A note was received from Chloe Nakahara thanking us for the financial support re the 2018 Grand Masters & John Tribe had received new contact info for the Gronbergs.
CGM 2019: Mark Sullivan was supposed to have joined this call to update us on the progress of plans but we were not able to connect with him. The $3,500.00 sponsorship for 1st prize has been sent. Some other help will be needed. We do not know if our recommendations re competing at the CGM have been contacted as yet.
Provincial AGM location: Will take place after the CGM on Sunday August 25/19 at the Sandman Hotel in Abbotsford.
Travel Funds for 2019 CGM: It was decided that we would support our recommended competitors with $ 250 each.
Review of 2019 Financials: We will be asking Ada Brown if she will do this for us again.
Next meeting scheduled for Wednesday May 8, 2019.
SYNOPSIS OF OCTOBER 17, 2018 EXECUTIVE MEETING
Correspondence: A note was received from Michael Burnyeat thanking us for recommending him to the 2018 CGM committee & for the travel grant.
CGM 2019: An update had been received from Mark Sullivan. At this time they have $12,000 pledged towards their $30,000 Budget and are asking the Branches for help with fundraising ideas, sponsorships, etc.
Newsletter: Very little feedback has been received re the new format (PDF file to each of the Branches).
Grand Masters 2018: Michael Burnyeat, Lia Gronberg, & Quinn Etheridge Pedden attended from BC. Barry Nakahara advised the Chloe Nakahara had also attended.
Website: Jackie Davis requested information for activities to be posted on the event calendar & asked for ideas for any other information on the site.
Feedback on online registration: It worked well for Kamloops contest, but for Quesnel there was a problem with e-mails not going through to the Quesnel contact.
By-Laws Registration: The new by-laws as approved at the June 3, 2018 AGM have been received by BC Registries – it was confirmed on September 26th that the filing had been received & transition completed.
By-Law Booklets: A request had been received for a smaller version of the By-Laws to be posted to the Website & Jackie has done that.
2019 CGM: We will be recommending that the following be invited to compete: Michael Burnyeat, Kai Gronberg, Chloe Nakahara, Anita Mamela & Lia Gronberg + Chloe Davidson.
Junior Showcase: We will be recommending Hunter Pearen as a possible Jr. Showcase performer.
Travel Funds: Tabled until the next Skype meeting.
Insurance: The Provincial Association paid for the insurance on behalf of all Branches for the 2018-2019 year. The cost of insurance remained the same as last year.
Discussion re AGM in conjunction with the CGM: Tabled ‘til next Skype meeting.
Discussion re how to help Branches get a full Board of Directors: Encourage them to keep trying to fill all positions. If they can’t, the Provincial body is to be advised.
CGM 2019 Advertising: It was decided that we should advise the CGM committee that they can have a full page ad in each of the next two issues of the B.C. Fiddle News at no cost.
Next meetings scheduled for Wednesday’s January 9, 2019, May 8, 2019, August 16, 2019 & November 6, 2019.
Synopsis of Skype Meeting of May 9, 2018
- Grand Masters 2018: We understand that the selection committee has invited 3 of our recommendations Michael Burnyeat, Lia Gronberg & Quin Etheridge-Pedden and our alternate Chloe Nakahara has been invited. We don’t know about Anita Mamela.
- Junior Showcase: We had made two recommendations but Maria Newton was considered too old for the Jr. Showcase & Hunter Grosse-Pearen was not invited due to the large number of recommendations from across the country, of which the committee could only invite 3.
- Grand Masters 2019: The Provincial BCOTFA has been asked if we would sponsor the 1st Place position for the 2019 CGM which will take place in BC. We will recommend that we provide the $3,500.00 sponsorship.
- New By Laws: We will be making a recommendation at the AGM that the section regarding Proxy Voting will be removed & we will leave 4.11 as it was previously “Voting by proxy is not permitted” and that instead we add the ability for members to vote by electronic means, and those who attend the full meeting by electronic means will count towards the Quorum.
- Newsletters: The increasing costs of newsletter printing & postage was discussed. We will be making a recommendation at the AGM that we send a PDF version of the newsletter electronically to each Branch and that each Branch could then choose to print as many copies as they require.
- Nominations: Jackie Davis has made a few calls but more people are needed to run for positions on the Executive.
- Fraudulent emails: E-mails requesting payments have been received by members of the Executive. Jackie was able to change the Website so that we can still be contacted by e-mail, but our actual e-mail addresses are hidden. This seems to have stopped the scammers.
- Website: Provincial Website has been updated by all except 3 of our Branches at this time.
- Next Meeting: Scheduled for October 10, 2018
Florence Tellier, Secretary-Treasurer Kamloops Old Time Fiddlers
Skype Executive Meeting of Feb. 5th, 2018
– Florence Tellier reported that income is down slightly and expenses are going up, in particular the cost of the newsletter. Membership is down, but only by about 10 members in total across all Branches
– Re: Provincial Website – John Tribe is still looking after, but Jackie Davis has taken over events page & anyone wanting events posted should let her know. About 50% of the Branch pages on the website are not up to date.
– Canadian Grand Masters 2018 will be in Orleans, Ontario on Aug 25th
– The BCOTFA has recommended that the following be invited to the 2018 CGM – Michael Burnyeat, Quin Etheridge-Pedden, Lia Gronberg & Anita Mamela, with Chloe Nakahara as an alternate. If they are invited and are current members, they will be provided with a travel grant from the BCOTFA to a total of $1,400 with a maximum of $400 per person. Should our Jr. Showcase recommendations (Hunter Grosse-Pearen & Maria Newton) be invited we will provide a travel grant of $300 each.
– Letter was received from Mark Sullivan re hosting 2019 CGM in BC – February 15th is the date he will receive the anticipated approval for BC to host, & it would likely be in Abbotsford.
– There was no objection to Branches setting up their own Facebook page, if they wished to do so.
– Jackie Davis has recommended to the Branches that they attempt to fill all 9 Executive positions at their AGM, & if not able to at that time, that they continue to do so throughout the year.
Skype Executive Meeting of November 20, 2017
– The idea of a Skype contest has been put on hold for now as it has been too difficult to get competitors interested.
– Draft #5 of the proposed new By-Laws will be voted on at the 2018 AGM.
– Canadian Grand Masters 2018. We have not been able to get any information yet as to where & if it will be held. Possible recommendations of contestants were discussed should a CGM competition take place in 2018.
– Canadian Grand Master 2019. There is a proposal to bring this to Mission, BC. All branches have indicated support. All executive were in favour of Mark Sullivan spearheading a committee for this event.
– Kelowna Branch has agreed to host the 2018 AGM in Kelownain June.
– Kamloops Branch is planning to host an Old Time Fiddle Contest on September 8, 2018.
– Jackie Davis is to follow up on who will continue to update the Website.
Skype Executive Meeting of July 10, 2017
– the only item of significance was that – A motion was made for the Association to again pay for the D & O and Liability insurance on behalf of all the Branches for 2017-2018.
Skype Conference Call of April 24, 2017
– A draft statement of income & expense for the fiscal year end March 31, 2017 was distributed showing Income of $ 9,112.47 & Expenses of $ 5,903.24.
– Skype Contest – no further progress at this time as it has been difficult to get contestants interested. Suggestion to try a “mock” Skype contest – maybe next November.
– Concerns of Branch # 4 – a letter was finalized & sent to the Branch & an e-mail was received back from Vivienne Chin with thanks.
– Status of CGM recommendations: From what we have heard, it would appear that all four of our recommendations (Chloe Davidson, Brittany Iwanciwski, Kai Gronberg & Chloe Nakahara) have been invited & are planning to attend. We have also heard that Lia Gronberg has been invited by the committee as well.
– There is a request from the Quesnel Branch re the Oct 7, 2017 Provincial Contest. They are needing some help with auditing & also at the door. The word is being put out in Kamloops, Kelowna & Prince George. Quesnel has also asked for suggestions re MC & Judges. Doug Borden was suggested as a possible MC & names brought up re Judging were Ben Beveridge from Vernon, Sydney Wilson, Chloe Davidson & an Ingrid “someone” from Williams Lake.
– In preparation for the transition to the new B.C. Societies Act (deadline of Nov, 2018 to transition) Jackie Davis has done some research, as has Florence Tellier, but more information is still needed. There was a discussion as to which of the 4 types of Societies we would best fit into. Jackie & Florence to get further info in the next week or so & then send out an e-mail to all Branches looking for feedback from them.
– Next meeting to be July 10, 2017
Skype Meeting January 23, 2017
– Treasurer reported that during the period April 1/16 to December 31/16 income was $ 5,281, Expenses were $ 4,145 for a gain during that period of $ $ 1,135.
– Skype Contest: John Tribe has not yet been successful in his attempts to arrange this, but is willing to continue trying.
– There was a query as to whether one round of play at a contest would be acceptable & it was felt that there is nothing in the Provincial Contest rules to indicate that there must be two.
– 2017 Canadian Grand Masters: Based on only two contests in 2016, we are recommending to the Grand Masters committee that the following four be invited from BC: Chloe Davidson, Chloe Nakahara, Brittany Iwanciwski and Kai Gronberg. We are recommending Lia Gronberg and Micki-Lee Smith as alternates if needed.
– 2017 CGM is in Quebec and it was recommended that the travel grant for this year be increased from $300 to $ 400.
– The new Societies Act was brought up and is to be investigated further prior to the the next Skype meeting which is scheduled for April 24, 2017.
Skype Meeting of April 17, 2016
- Old Business:
- Fiddle contests an idea to have a contest via Skype
- When to do? Skype contest: possibly in November 2016
- Shamma, Patti, Mark, agree that they would be interested in participating as JudgesEach branch could find a center venue to set up Skype contest, possibly a school, hall, board room.Venue to have for best connection would be hard wired internet, Wi-Fi or telephone speaker access.Hold the event on a SaturdaySkype has 25 connections for Audio and 10 connections for VideoMarks from Judges might be able to be texted to a location to be totaled.
- Canadian Grand Masters Cash Contribution has been sent out.
- CGM Contestant recommendations: Confirmation to be sought
- All branches to provide the Provincial Secretary a current board of Directors, their contact information, along with a list of all the Branch members.
- New business
- Branch #4 update: An in camera session was held with the Branch.
- Nominating committee
- All Branches have been contacted however not many have got back to us
- We will again to contact all the Branches before the AGM in Kelowna in June 2016
- Motion Made and Carried to Not make any changes to the bylaws until the Government has given a list of requirements. Discussion on the change of time on the AGM in Kelowna to be earlier in the day.
- Action: all Board members to have a look on the web for the Synopsis of BCOTFA Executive Meetings
- Next Skype meeting is scheduled for May 29, 2016