Kamloops Fiddle Weekend September 15, 16, 2023
Sept 16, 2023 Fiddle Contest
GENERAL ADMISSIONS TO CONTEST:
SEPTEMBER 15, 2023
JAM SESSION - 100 LORNE STREET, 7:00 PM TO 9:00 PM, FREE
SEPTEMBER 16, 2023
Breakfast and lunch are provided by Donation
|All Day||9:00 am to 5:30 pm||$ 10.00|
|All Day First 50 Seniors||9:00 am to 5:30 pm||Free|
|All Day with Dinner & Dance||9:00 am||$ 25.00|
|Dinner and Dance||6:00 pm||$ 15.00|
|Dinner and Dance 12 and under||6:00 pm||Free|
|Dance Only||7:30 pm||$ 6.00 members $ 10.00 non|
Schedule on September 16,2023
Location: 100 Lorne Street, Kamloops, BC
|9 - 10 am||Pancake Breakfast - By Donation to the Kamloops Lion Club|
|9 - 10 am||Annual General Breakfast Meeting (important to attend because of required quorum)|
|9 - 10 am||Registrations for Competitors|
|11:00 am||Judges meeting in lower lounge of Heritage House|
|11:30 am||Preliminaries to Start Little Juniors, Juniors, Novice, Youth, Out of Province, Twin Fiddle|
|12:30 pm||Break for Lunch|
|1:30 pm||Awards for Little Jr. Junior, Novice|
|1:30 - 2:30 pm||Judges Performance|
|2:30 pm||Competition Continues with 1st round of: Senior: 65 & over, Intermediate: 18 to 64 inclusive, Open: Any age, Championship: Any age
Followed by 2nd round Youth, Out of Province, Twin Fiddle, Senior 65 & Over, Intermediate: 18- 64 inclusive, Open: Any Age, Championship: Any Age
|5:00pm||Presentation of Awards|
|5:30pm||Group Playing for all Competitors|
|7:30 pm||Dance to Follow for All musicians, judges, competitors, welcome to join in.|
|All times are approximate|
RV PARKING: There is no overnight parking allowed at the venue.
*Silver Sage RV Park, 98-771 Athabasca Street East (5 minutes away) www.silversagerv.ca — email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 250-828-2077 *Knutsford Tent & Trailer Park (10 minutes away) www.knutsfordcampground.ca, - email email@example.com or telephone 1-866-777-1954 or 250-372-5380.
Ramada by Wyndham - 555 Columbia, St. W Kamloops, BC V2C 1K7 - (888) 679-4785 Coast Kamloops Hotel - 1250 Rogers Way Kamloops BC V1S1N5 - (888) 679-4785 Sandman Hotel - 225 Lorne Street, Kamloops BC V2C 1W2 · (250) 377-7263 Scott's Inn & Restaurant -551 11th Ave, Kamloops BC V2C 3Y1 ·(250)372-8221 Travelodge by Wyndham - 430 Columbia Street, Kamloops V2C 2T5 (250)372-8202 Delta Hotels Kamloops - 540 Victoria St, Kamloops BC V2C 2B2 ·(250) 372-2281
Billets - We do have some homes available with our members please email
firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know what you are looking for.
Kamloops Fiddle Contest – Contestants
KAMLOOPS OLD TIME FIDDLERS
BRANCH # 12
TWIN FIDDLE RULES
1. Twin Fiddle category is open to contestants of all ages.
2. Contestants may enter this category as well as one other regular category of his/her choice.
3. A maximum time of three (3) minutes will be allowed for the two tunes. This time will begin when the contestants start to play. Judging will only be made on the first three (3) minutes of play. A signal will be made evident to the judges and the contestants to indicate that the time limit has been reached.
4. Contestants must play a waltz, followed by a tune of their choice.
5. No more than two (2) accompanists may be used.
6. Contestants will be judged on harmonizing and ability. Selections should be clear, precise and in tune.
7. In the event of a tie, the contestants will be asked to play a tune of choice, excluding a waltz, but must not repeat tune of choice played in the competition.
8. A contestant may compete in only one (1) partner combination in the Twin Fiddle category.
KAMLOOPS OLD TIME FIDDLERS BRANCH # 12
CATEGORY - NOVICE (Any Age) - RULES (ONE Round Only Required)
1. This category is for contestants entering their first (1st) Old Time Fiddle contest.
2. Contestants must play a waltz and a tune of their choice.
3. There will be a three (3) minute time limit. Judging will only be made on the first three (3) minutes. A signal will be made evident to the judges and the contestant to indicate that the time limit has been reached.
4. No more than two (2) accompanists may be used. Accompanists must chord only.
BC Old Time Fiddler Association Contest Rules
- Contestants must play a Waltz, a Jig, and a Breakdown (Hornpipe or Reel) in that order. In the final round of play, in the Championship Class only, contestants must play a Waltz, a Jig, a Breakdown, and a Tune of Choice in that order. A penalty of ten (10) points will be deducted from the score sheet total if the tunes are not played in proper order, or if an improper tune is played.
- A maximum time of four (4) minutes will be allowed for the three tunes and five (5) minutes for the four tunes. This time will begin when the contestant starts to play. This time will begin when the contestant starts to play. Judging will only be made on the first four (4) or five (5) minutes of play as appropriate. A signal will be made evident to the judges and the contestant to indicate that the time limit has been reached.
- Contestants must play different tunes for each round of play. No tune may be repeated, even in the event of a tie playoff. A contestant who repeats a tune will lose all points for that tune. The Junior (12 and under) and Little Junior (9 and under) categories ONLY may repeat the same tunes for the second round of play. The Little Junior (9 and under) to play two tunes one slow tune and a quicker tune. A second round of play for Little Junior will be at the discretion of the branch holding the contest.
- Only standard tuned 4 string violins may be used in the competition. Double bowing, sometimes called Cross Shuffle or Double Bowing is allowed, but must be kept to a minimum.
- The microphone must be moved to suit the contestant.
- No more than two accompanists will be allowed and they must chord only. An electric bass, and/or electric piano, if a regular piano is not available, may be used. All other instruments must be acoustic.
- There will be an area away from the stage for tuning and rehearsing. No warm-up time will be allowed on the stage.
- If, after the final round, two or more players in the same category are tied, they will play one tune only, a Jig . If a second tune is needed to decide a winner, it will be a Reel. If a third is needed it will be a Jig and this alternate selection will be extended if need be. No tiebreaker will be used after a preliminary round.
- In the event of an accident beyond the player’s control, such as a broken string, etc., that player may replay. In the event of unforeseen circumstances, which would prohibit the contest from proceeding otherwise, the contest committee can opt for open judging.
- Judging will be done by three competent judges and will be based on tone, timing, rhythm, and old time fiddling ability, style, and danceability. Judges are not required to explain scores or standing. They are not responsible for disqualification, which is the function of the contest committee.
- Anyone who appears intoxicated may not be allowed to play
- Prize money and categories in any contest will be determined by the contest committee responsible for that particular contest
- If a contest is designated as a Provincial Contest, only residents of British Columbia are eligible to compete. A contestant must be able to provide evidence of three months consecutive residence in British Columbia immediately prior to the contest day.
- Contestants shall not be allowed to use printed music in competitions.
- Qualifying and final rounds will be scored independently with the final round delivering the placements.
- Categories and age requirements:
- Championship: Any Age
- Open: Any Age
- Senior: 65 and over
- Intermediate: 18 - 64 inclusive
- Youth: 17 and under
- Junior: 12 and under
- Little Junior: 9 and under
- Member branches holding a Fiddle Contest shall name their categories exactly as above, but may delete or add categories such as Beginners, Golden Age, Twin, or Novice to the list.
- Contestants may enter only one category (except twin fiddle or harmony) of his or her choice according to playing ability and age or other requirements listed in the rules.
- Contestants who win in any adult category for two consecutive years in one location (same branch) must either move up to the next higher category or not compete there for one year. The Provincial Contest will be considered separately and the two consecutive years would apply to the Provincial Contest only.
- Failure on the part of a contestant to abide by any of these rules will result in disqualification of the contestant. Disqualification decisions are to be made by the contest committee only.
- Any Branch of the B.C.O.T.F.A. hosting a contest must abide by these rules.
- In the event that there is only one contestant in any category, that contestant may be asked to move to another category.
Revised November 26, 2012
NOTE: For a downloadable version of the Current Rules listed above, click here
CATEGORIES AND AWARDS (CDN FUNDS)
|Little Junior: 9 & under (1 round only)**||$ 30.00||$ 25.00||$ 20.00||$ 15.00||$ 0.00|
|Junior: 12 & under (1 round only) **||$ 70.00||$ 60.00||$ 50.00||$ 40.00||$ 0.00|
|Youth: 17 & under**||$100.00||$ 80.00||$ 60.00||$ 40.00||$ 5.00|
|Senior: 65 & over||$125.00||$100.00||$ 75.00||$ 50.00||$ 5.00|
|Intermediate: 18 to 64 inclusive||$125.00||$100.00||$ 75.00||$ 50.00||$10.00|
|Open: Any age||$200.00||$175.00||$150.00||$125.00||$10.00|
|Out of Province: Any age||$400.00||$300.00||$250.00||$225.00||$10.00|
|Championship: Any age *||$400.00||$300.00||$250.00||$225.00||$15.00|
|Twin Fiddle: Any age||$45.00 ea.||$35.00 ea.||$25.00 ea.||$15.00 ea.||$ 5.00/TEAM|
|Novice: Any Age (1 round only)||$ 15.00||$ 0.00|
|*Championship category - top five competitors will be required to play 4 tunes in the final round, with the 4th tune being a “Tune of Choice”|
** Clark Hiles Bursary for 17 and under Deadline September 5, 2023**
To Apply: Details on Clark Hiles Bursary
ALL ACCOMPANISTS MUST REGISTER - - No Fee
One free guest ribbon per contestant will be issued only to contestants in the Little Junior: 9 & under, Junior: 12 & under, Youth: 17 & under as well as anyone 17 & under who registers for the Novice category.
B.C. Old Time Fiddlers’ Association contest rules (Rev. Nov. 2012) will apply and must be strictly adhered to.
Please provide Chord Charts for the accompanist/s.
Remember; winners are expected to share a percentage of their winnings with their accompanist/s.
JUDGES/COMPETITORS MEETING: 10:30 A.M. "Everyone must attend"
COMPETITION: Starts at 11:00 am (contest committee reserves the right to make changes and adjustments).
Deadline - September 5, 2023
Email to email@example.com or call 250-376-2330 for more information
EARLY REGISTRATION: Those who have registered online by 9:00 PM September 15, 2023 will have their name entered in a draw for a $50 Gift Card from Long & McQuade.
All contestants that register before September 15, 2023 12 noon will be able to have a free ticket to the Concert starting at 1:30pm September 15, 2023
Friday Night Jam at 100 Lorne Street!!! 7pm
Registration Closes at 10:00 am September 16, 2023
Judges Meeting at 11:00 am - lower level Heritage House, 100 Lorne Street